Enjoying our resources?
Everything we provide is free. Help us keep this resource free by donating and helping us cover our running costs. Every little bit helps!
LO: Comparing renewable and non-renewable energy sources, including how they are used in a range of situations.
Resources can be a source of energy. There are many different types of resources and methods for converting them into energy that we can use in our homes, manufacturing and every day life.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
Play each of the videos below and take note of the pros & cons and key points for each method of renewable energy.
– Magma is a super hot liquid deep beneath the Earth.
– As the magma heats up the rocks around it, this heat turn water to steam.
– The steam is funneled through pipes to turn turbines and generate power
– Geothermal resources can be used to heat houses and generate electricity
– Tidal power uses the movement of waves to generate electricity.
– As the tide changes, the movement turns the turbines.
Currently, Hydropower accounts for around 19% of the worlds energy production and roughly 4.5 % of our needs. The two many hydroelectric power plants are in Tasmania and the snow mountains (NSW).
– Hydro electric power uses falling water to produce energy.
– Water is released from high up and crash down on the turbines, turning them and generating power.
– This means they require constant water supply and are often in high-
You may have seen small solar panels around, on traffic light, outdoor lighting and speed limit signs. However, in order to generate meaningful amounts of electricity, we create solar farms. Solar power stations are becoming increasingly popular around the world and especially in Australia. We are set to build our largest solar farm in Queensland, Harlin Solar Farm, which should be able to generate 1,500 Mega Watts of electricity!
– Solar dose not require a turning turbine to generate electricity.
– Solar energy is made when solar cells convert sunlight into electrical energy.
Germany and Spain have massive solar power stations. In fact Germany broke the world record for most energy generated by solar power with 20 Giga Watts!!
That’s enough to charge your iPhone 4,000,000,000 times or power 2200 million LED light bulbs and is the equivalent of 26 million horse power!!
– Wind power does not rely on producing steam to turn a turbine. Instead it use the wind to turn it.
– The stronger the wind, the more energy is produced.
– We place many of them in long rows, called these wind farms, where there are frequent strong winds
Click and drag the boxes into their correct category. You can place the same box into multiple categories.